Area(s) of specialism / subspecialism:
- Cataract surgery
- Retinal disease
Year of first medical qualification:
Location of initial medical training:
Royal Free Hospital School of Medicine and University College London
Further key experience:
Two years of advanced specialisation in the medical treatment of retinal disease and extensive training in cataract surgery in the presence of retinal disease at Moorfields Eye Hospital
Doctoral research thesis (MD) on new treatments for diabetic retinopathy at Kings College London
Date joined Moorfields:
Membership of professional /national/regional bodies:
- Fellow of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists (FRCOphth)
- General Medical Council
- UK and Ireland Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons (UKISCRS)
- European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons (ESCRS)
- Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO)
- European Society of Retina Specialists (EURETINA)
Current NHS/university posts, whether full/part time, and starting year:
- Full time NHS consultant ophthalmic surgeon, Moorfields Eye Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
Other professional achievements:
Highest first-class distinction for Bachelor of Science degree from University College London and collaboration with Prof Semir Zeki
Co-author of three medical retina chapters in the prize-winning textbook ‘An Atlas of Clinical Ophthalmology’
Prize finalist, ophthalmology section, Royal Society of Medicine (2005)
Awarded doctorate in medicine (MD), University of London (2009)
Part of the age-related macular degeneration (AMD) treatment team that won ‘The Clinical Service of the Year 2012’ awarded by the Macular Disease Society in recognition of clinical excellence
Clinical lead on the Lucentis treatment programme for diabetic macular oedema at Moorfields Eye Centre at Bedford Hospital and Hinchingbrooke Hospital (2013)
- Doctoral thesis (MD) at Kings College on novel therapies for diabetic macular oedema with numerous international publications and presentations.
- New therapies for age related macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy and vein occlusions.
- Responsible for a new clinical trial that evaluates new therapies for diabetic maculopathy and the quality of life benefits to patients.
- Two years of advanced specialization in the medical treatment of retinal disease and extensive training in cataract surgery in the presence of retinal disease at Moorfields Eye Hospital.
- Doctoral research thesis (MD) on new treatments for diabetic retinopathy at Kings College London.
Any other personal interests/background information that may be relevant:
I have a special interest in developing educational tools for general practitioners, optometrists and nurses with several published peer reviewed articles in the Lancet, sBMJ and Postgraduate Medicine journals.